Selenium is not used in clinical practice until the mid-twentieth century - it is considered toxic. In the 90s, selenium is recognized as a vital trace element, and after another 10 years it is simply necessary for health.
The benefits of selenium for men
- Selenium is part of a special enzyme that protects the protective membrane of the cell from destruction and oxidation. Lack of selenium leads to gradual destruction and mutations in the cells of the heart, brain, liver, joints and provokes various diseases, the most terrible of which is cancer (prevention of prostate cancer is particularly relevant for men).
- Selenium stimulates the formation of antibodies and increases protection against colds and infectious diseases.
- Selenium has a protective effect against the harmful effects of environmental pollution and bad habits, such as smoking and drinking alcohol. Thanks to selenium, heavy metals, such as cadmium, mercury, lead, and arsenic, are more actively eliminated from the body.
- Selenium is important for the functioning of the thyroid gland, as well as its protection from damage by free radicals.
- Selenium is necessary for men's health, as it participates in the biosynthesis of the main male hormone testosterone, supports the normal functioning of the genitals, improves the quality of sperm and is used in the treatment of male infertility . Part of the selenium is released along with the sperm, so a sufficient amount of selenium is necessary for men leading an active sex life.
Products containing selenium
The undisputed leader in the content of selenium is Brazil nut: 1917 ± 230 mcg per 100 g of product. It turns out that the use of a couple of Brazil nuts per day, provides the daily rate of selenium.
Figure 1 - Products containing selenium.
Selenium can also be obtained from various food additives, vitamin-mineral complexes, but not all of them are suitable for consumption. Such preparations may contain inorganic form of selenium, which is poorly absorbed by the body.
Selenium, Testosterone and Childbearing
(Excerpt from the book Testosterone Factor, Shafiq Kaadri, 2007)
Selenium has a direct effect on testosterone and childbirth. This trace element and its molecular complexes form an aid in the process of testosterone production, known as the biosynthesis pathway. It is also essential for the maturation of anatomically normal and lively sperm. Spermatozoa produced on the background of low levels of selenium, have problems with mobility. They do not move properly, because they have irregular tails and other structural defects.
Selenium also helps detoxify the body. This element is one of the main structural elements in the group of detoxifying enzymes, especially known as glutathione peroxidases, which give the command to cleanse the body of chemical disorders. Environmental toxins (gasoline exhaust fumes, pesticides), which are mainly estrogens, are partially neutralized through this team of molecules.
Take 200 mcg of selenium daily. This dietary supplement is recommended especially for men who are regularly exposed to industrial chemicals, who consume too much meat, smoke or have problems with childbirth.