The name of vitamin E - tocopherol, translated from Greek means “childbearing, giving birth”, reflects its original role in restoring the reproductive function in laboratory rats: when it is deficient in male laboratory rats, testicular dystrophy developed, and in females the fetus died .
Male Vitamin E Benefits
Tocopherol has many positive functions in the body   :
- Being a natural antioxidant, tocopherol reduces the damaging effect of free radicals, keeping cells unharmed, thereby slowing down aging, protects cell membranes, carotene and vitamin A molecules from the oxidative process;
- Tocopherol affects the function of the genital and other endocrine glands, protecting the hormones they produce from excessive oxidation, thereby normalizing the hormonal background of the man (see "Vitamins to Increase Testosterone" );
- Vitamin E reduces the need for insulin, which will be especially useful for men with diabetes who are forced to use insulin preparations. In the future, an additional intake of tocopherol will reduce the intake of exogenous insulin;
- Helps in the fight against atherosclerosis;
- Prevents increased permeability and fragility of capillaries;
- It is an effective immunomodulator.
Vitamin E in the body
Hypovitaminosis. Vitamin E deficiency is a fairly common occurrence. This is especially pronounced in areas contaminated with radionuclides, as well as in people exposed to chemical toxins (for example, under certain working conditions).
The manifestation of symptoms of tocopherol deficiency is caused by a violation of the structure and functions of biological membranes, which can be manifested by dermatitis, impaired spermatogenesis, degenerative disorders in the muscles.
Hypervitaminosis. Vitamin E is relatively non-toxic. Long-term use of high doses of tocopherol (ten times higher than the recommended norm) does not cause adverse reactions .
Food sources and daily requirement
The main food sources of tocopherol are vegetable oils (soybean, corn, sunflower), obtained by cold pressing. Extraction of oil from seeds under high temperature and their industrial processing (refining, deodorization), reduces the content of vitamin E in the final product. However, an excess of polyunsaturated fatty acids (mainly vegetable oils) in the diet increases the need for vitamin E.
Rich food sources are nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, walnuts), margarine, seeds, buckwheat, soy, halva.
Vitamin E in foods:
(estimated availability in 100 g)
The daily dose is the minimum that the body needs to function without deviations. For therapeutic purposes, you can significantly exceed the daily dosage.
In order to reduce the oxidation of tocopherol in the body, it is recommended to use it together with vitamin C.
What vitamins and minerals are needed for men's health?
The most important micronutrients for men are vitamins B, C, E, minerals of zinc, selenium, magnesium, calcium, potassium. These elements are responsible not only for overall health, but also support the sexual function and hormonal background of a man.
- T. P. Emelyanova, “Vitamins and Minerals: A Complete Encyclopedia”, 2000;
- MGMSU them. A. I. Evdokimova, team of authors, Vitamins, 2014;
- V. G. Liflandsky, "Vitamins and Minerals", 2010;
- T. S. Morozkina, A. G. Moiseyenok, "Vitamins", 2002;
- Edaplus.info - source of illustrations for the article.