The name of vitamin E - tocopherol, translated from Greek means “childbearing, giving birth”, reflects its distinctive role in restoring fertility in laboratory rats: when it was deficient, male test rats developed testicular dystrophy, and in females the fetus died .
The benefits of vitamin E for the male body
Tocopherol has many positive functions in the body   :
- Being a natural antioxidant, tocopherol reduces the damaging effects of free radicals, keeping cells intact, thereby slowing aging, protects cell membranes, carotene molecules and vitamin A from the oxidative process;
- Tocopherol affects the function of the sex and other endocrine glands, protecting the hormones they produce from excessive oxidation, thereby normalizing the hormonal background of the man (see "Vitamins to increase testosterone" );
- Vitamin E reduces the need for insulin, which will be especially useful for men with diabetes who need to use insulin. In perspective, the additional intake of tocopherol will reduce the use of exogenous insulin;
- Helps in the fight against atherosclerosis;
- Interferes with the increased permeability and fragility of capillaries;
- It is an effective immunomodulator.
Vitamin E content in the body
Hypovitaminosis. Vitamin E deficiency is a fairly common occurrence. This is particularly pronounced in areas contaminated with radionuclides, as well as in people exposed to chemical toxins (for example, under certain working conditions).
The manifestation of the symptoms of tocopherol deficiency is due to a violation of the structure and functions of biological membranes, which can manifest itself as dermatitis, a violation of spermatogenesis, and degenerative disorders in muscles.
Hypervitaminosis. Vitamin E is relatively non-toxic. Prolonged use of high doses of tocopherol (tens of times higher than the recommended rate) does not cause adverse reactions .
Food sources and daily need
The main food sources of tocopherol are vegetable oils (soybean, corn, sunflower), produced by cold pressing. Extraction of oil from seeds under high temperature and their industrial processing (refining, deodorizing) reduces the content of vitamin E in the final product. However, an excess of polyunsaturated fatty acids (mainly vegetable oils) in the diet increases the need for vitamin E.
Rich food sources are nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, walnuts), margarine, seeds, buckwheat, soybeans, halva.
Vitamin E content in food:
(estimated availability of 100 g)
The daily dose is the minimum that the body needs for its functioning without deviations. For therapeutic purposes, you can significantly exceed the daily dosage.
In order to reduce the oxidation of tocopherol in the body, it is recommended to use in conjunction with vitamin C.
What vitamins and minerals are needed for men's health?
The most important micronutrients for men are the B, C, E vitamins, minerals of zinc, selenium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. These elements are responsible not only for overall health, but also support the sexual function and hormonal background of men.
- T.P. Emelyanova, "Vitamins and Mineral Substances: Complete Encyclopedia", 2000;
- MSMSU them. A.I. Evdokimova, a group of authors, “Vitamins”, 2014;
- V. G. Liflyandsky, “Vitamins and Minerals”, 2010;
- TS Morozkina, A.G. Moyseyenok, “Vitamins”, 2002;
- Edaplus.info - a source of illustrations to the article.