Spermogram - a laboratory study of seminal fluid to assess the structural and functional parameters of sperm. It is carried out for the diagnosis of infertility in men.
Preparation for the study
To make the results as accurate as possible, men need to prepare for spermogram. The preliminary preparation plan contains the following items:
- Abstinence from sexual intercourse and masturbation for 2 days. It is important to remember that abstinence should not exceed 1 week, since the number of weakened and dead spermatozoa increases in the ejaculate (see "Sexual abstinence - benefit or harm?" ).
- Compliance with recommendations regarding nutrition. 5-6 days before the semen, men should refrain from eating spicy, fried and fatty foods. Also, the use of products containing caffeine is contraindicated. It is necessary to give preference to fresh fruits and vegetables, low-fat varieties of fish and meat.
- Abstinence from smoking and drinking alcohol for 7-8 days prior to surrender. In the case of taking any medications, the man should notify the doctor responsible for the laboratory research.
- If a man suffers from respiratory viral diseases, accompanied by fever, then he needs to postpone the delivery of seminal fluid for analysis. Against the background of general intoxication of the body, the quantitative and qualitative indicators of germ cells deteriorate. Delivery of the analysis is permissible only 10-14 days after recovery.
- It is strictly forbidden to conduct semen in diseases such as prostatitis and urethritis. To begin with, a man should undergo a course of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory therapy. Laboratory analysis of seminal fluid can be performed 7–8 days after recovery.
- Before submitting biological material for analysis, it is recommended to refrain from visiting saunas, baths and tanning beds. Thermal effect on the region of the external genital organs, leads to a violation of the act of maturation of the germ cells (for details, see “Consequences of testicular overheating in men” ).
- A few days before the study, you must refrain from excessive emotional and physical stress. It is not recommended to go to the gym, in which classes lead to the accumulation of lactic acid in the muscle tissue. This substance has a negative effect on semen performance.
- If a man is undergoing a course of treatment that involves performing a massage of the prostate gland , then it is necessary to abandon this procedure before taking the test.
On the eve of the day of delivery of seminal fluid, a man should rest and sleep as much as possible. Lack of sleep and emotional stress leads to a violation of erectile function, which leads to problems with the collection of biomaterial.